Historical Month: Notre Dame de La Garde


The basilica of our lady of the guard or Notre Dame de la Garde, often nicknamed "the good mother" is a minor basilica of the Catholic Church dating from the 19th century.

The basilica dominates the city and the Mediterranean Sea from the top of the Notre Dame de la Garde hill.

In 1214 a priest from Marseilles, master Pierre, had the idea of building a chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary on the hill of La Garde. Four years later a chapel is finished.

After the death of Master Pierre in 1256, Notre Dame de la Garde was established as a priory. The prior of the sanctuary of the Guard is at the same time one of the four claustral priors of Saint-Victor.




0 comments